Saturday, November 23, 2013

Twins Two Month Update

The girls hit the two month mark on Thursday. I'll probably say this every month, but I can not believe they are already that old!

I love how Lydia is smirking because she's pulling on Eden's shirt and Eden is gasping that her little sister dare do such a thing!
They had their doctor's appointment yesterday. Eden was 9 lbs and Lydia was 10 lbs! So what's new with these two, two-month old babies? Eventually this blog will be the perfect forum for me to brag on how amazing my kids are, but let's be honest, two-month olds don't have many tricks up their sleeves. The three things the doctor asked about were tracking with their eyes, smiling, and making noises. Check, check, and check. In fact, they are quite noisy at times, so I guess that means my babies are "advanced"for their age :) They've started smiling at me when I come get them out of their crib in the mornings; Ah! A little piece of heaven. They've also started to be more grabby. Especially Lydia as evidenced by the above photo.

I must say their greatest accomplishment by far is sleeping! They have started to sleep for 7-8 hours at night!!!!! They usually go down between 8-9 and don't wake up until sometime between 4-5. One time, they even made it to 7:15. After a mild heart attack when I awoke, I quickly ascertained that they were not dead and celebrated a full night of sleep. Hallelujah! Now I don't want to hear from any of you about how it won't last because holiday travel or teething or whatever is right around the corner and will mess up their routine. Just let me enjoy this moment and pretend it will last.

A smile from Eden

Good morning stretch and smile from Lydia

So as not to paint a picture of our lives through rose colored glasses, I freely admit we have challenges. The girls seem to have a witching hour. Every evening they get fussy and just want to be held. During the day, they are ok having some independent play time, but it's a completely different story at night. I hope they grow out of this phase because it makes it difficult to go anywhere or accomplish anything after 5:00 PM. Speaking of going somewhere, that is another challenge. We do get out of the house but it takes a lot of work to make it happen! The hardest part for me is timing our outings around their feedings. I nurse them together and that's pretty much impossible to do modestly in public. So my options are pump before I go anywhere and take bottles, take formula with me (and suffer the pain of full breasts until the next feeding), feed them separately (and have one screaming at me because she is hungry too) or find a corner to hide and feed them together in order to avoid flashing anyone. I generally just try to go places right after they've eaten so we don't have to deal with it while we're out, but sometimes I don't get a choice for when we leave, such as when we go to church. But we're figuring it out and I'm slowly building my confidence in leaving the safe confines of our home. The other big adjustment for me is how long it takes to accomplish tasks. Folding one batch of laundry can take anywhere from 2 hours to 2 days! Perhaps the laundry doesn't get folded, maybe the floor doesn't get swept (when was the last time I swept?????), and some days I don't even make it to the shower, but the girls are fed, changed, played with, and are basically happy so I guess I do accomplish something each day!

Our furnace was broken for a week, so we spent several days in jackets and hats. Luckily, Nate is a manly husband and father and fixed it!

3 comments:

  1. I remember the weekend we suddenly had no hot water because the water heater broke. That weekend sucked. A broken furnace for a week can't be that much better. Glad it's taken care of!
    Also, do you know that your daughters are as gorgeous as you are? It's true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I will be out in January to help my sister with her new baby. I look forward to snuggling them

    ReplyDelete